Friday 12th June 2020
We are looking to recruit a new Scottish Student Aquatics Chair to drive the development of student aquatics in Scotland.
Role title: Scottish Student Aquatics Chair
Responsible to: SSS Head of Competitions
Where (location): Various within Scotland
Time commitment: Variable, up to 10-15 hours a month, with 1-2 full-day events
Role duration: Minimum one year – until 30th June 2021
Scottish Student Sport (SSS), the governing body for student sport in Scotland, is seeking an energetic and committed individual to act as one of the lead volunteers within Scottish Student Aquatics.
The Chair will enjoy an excellent opportunity to contribute to a large sports programme and work closely with Scottish Swimming.
The selected individual will be a key figure in the drive towards improving and strengthening aquatics in Scotland’s Higher Education network.
The Chair will work with SSS staff to coordinate event delivery, manage a budget, participate in strategic planning, communicate with student participants, support event volunteers and improve both SGB engagement & club development.
- Coordinate meeting(s) for all student Swimming & Waterpolo Club captains to discuss plans for the year including an end of season review session
- Promote student swimming and waterpolo competitions and opportunities to clubs
- Work with Head of Competitions to appoint a Swimming Convenor and a Waterpolo Convenor for the academic year
Develop the Programme:
- Liaise with SSS staff to recruit and appoint a Development Group for Aquatics
- Develop and manage Aquatics Development Plan
- Support club engagement and development
- Other tasks as identified by Aquatics Development Plan
- Oversee Aquatics programme budget, managed by Head of Competitions
- Develop Student Aquatics calendar, in conjunction with Convenors, Competitions Coordinator, Head of Development, Scottish Swimming, and BUCS
- Deliver Scottish Student Aquatics Championships, in conjunction with Convenors, SSS Competitions Coordinator, and Scottish Swimming
- Ensure SSS have access to results, participation numbers and other relevant intel on the programme
Review National Squad Programme
- Liaise with SSS and other teams to review viability of a National Squad programme
- If viable, oversee appointment of coaching staff and team manager for each National Squad programme (unless happy to fill one of these roles yourself)
- Work with Team Managers to identify suitable playing programme for National Squad
- Assist coordination of Team Managers and SSS regarding National Squad trials, selection process and logistical planning
- Promote National Squad programme to all student clubs
- Travel with team to National Squad activity (only applicable for team manager role)
Required Skills, Qualities & Experience
- Proactive, can do attitude
- Experience in event management
- Experience of student aquatics in Scotland
- Knowledge of aquatics landscape in Scotland
- Ability to effectively communicate with a range of stakeholders
Training & Support Available
- Annual Chair Development Day hosted by SSS
- Any relevant CPD courses/experience as identified by Chair and Head of Competitions
- Named staff member within SSS
The Chair will be appointed on a voluntary basis for a minimum term of one year. Individuals may re-stand for the position of Chair. All reasonable expenses incurred undertaking the role will be reimbursed in line with SSS policy.
Application is by cover letter and CV and should be sent to Jess Barrows, Competitions Coordinator, no later than 5pm on Monday 6th July 2020.
This role can be downloaded in PDF format HEREBACK TO LIST