Monday 13th May 2019
Scottish Student Sport (SSS), the governing body for student sport in Scotland, is seeking an energetic and committed individual to act as the lead volunteer within Scottish Student Badminton
Role title: Scottish Student Badminton Chair
Responsible to: Head of Competitions
Where (location): Various within Scotland
Time commitment: Variable, 5-10 hours per month, with 1 weekend (Fri & Sat) tournament
Scottish Student Sport (SSS), the governing body for student sport in Scotland, is seeking an energetic and committed individual to act as the lead volunteer within Scottish Student Badminton.
The Chair will enjoy an excellent opportunity to contribute towards growing the sport within universities and colleges, and building a relationship with Badminton Scotland.
The selected individual will be a key figure in the drive towards improving and strengthening student badminton in Scotland.
The Chair will work with SSS staff to coordinate event delivery, budget management, strategic planning, communicating with the student participants and SGB engagement.
- Coordinate a meeting (online or in person) for all student Badminton Club captains at the start of the year to share plans for the year
- Create Badminton Development plan to ensure continuity of work from year to year
- Promote student Badminton competitions and opportunities to clubs
- Oversee Badminton programme budget, managed by Head of Competitions
- Develop Student Badminton calendar, in conjunction with Competitions Coordinator and Badminton Scotland
- Deliver Scottish Student Badminton Championships, liaising with Competitions Coordinator in logistics and administration
- Coordinate a meeting for all student Badminton Club captains at the end of the year to review and to plan for the following year
- Other tasks as identified by Badminton Development Plan
Required Skills, Qualities & Experience
- Proactive, can do attitude
- Experience in event management
- Experience of student badminton in Scotland
- Knowledge of badminton landscape in Scotland
- Ability to effectively communicate with a range of stakeholders
Training & Support Available
- Handover provided by outgoing Chair
- Annual Chairs’ Training day hosted by SSS
- Any relevant CPD courses/experience as identified by Chair and Head of Competitions
- Named staff member within SSS
Terms of Role
- The position will be appointed for an initial term of 2 years with an option for a 3rd year.
- This is a voluntary position although all reasonable expenses will be covered.
- Application is by CV and cover letter, sent to Head of Competitions – email@example.com by 5pm on Sunday 26th May, 2019