We are working closely with our partners to support coaches in getting ready their return to sport this upcoming academic year. Below are some of our top tips as we approach the start of 2020/2021:
- Check with your sports union/student association to see what specific measures are currently being implemented.
- Familiarise yourself with sportscotland’s “Getting Coaches Ready for Sport”, a guidance document to support coaches, leaders, personal trainers, and instructors on the phased return of sport in Scotland.Further resources, including sample risk assessments, an overview on special considerations for athletes with a disability as well as a COVID-19 pre and post-delivery checklist can be found via the sportscotland website here
- In addition, it is important to review specific sport governing bodies’ guidance. SSS currently have partnership agreements with a number of different Scottish Governing Bodies (outlined here) and can assist in putting you in touch with the right people within your sport if needed.
- Understand the needs of your participants and adapt your sessions accordingly. UK Coaching recently conducted a webinar on the Return to Coaching, outlining some examples using the STEP Model (Space, Task, Equipment and People) on how you could potentially adapt sessions to fit with government guidelines during the phased return to sport. A full audio session, including slides can be found here, with the STEP examples starting at the 34th minute mark.
- How to adapt to change – it is worth being mindful that some participants and coaches may have a variety of emotions about returning to sport over the next few months.Check out some additional resources relating to Mental Health and Wellbeing support available now:
UK Coaching’s Connected Coaches, a free online community for coaches offering friendly support and advice.
Scottish Association for Mental Health Coronavirus Information Hub – variety of resources available to use and share with your athletes and additional coaching staff on the coronavirus
Young Scot General Information Hub – variety of resources relating to coronavirus and mental wellbeing tailored to young adults.
UK Coaching’s CPD Coaching Courses – Free Online course (until 31st August) on Mental Health Awareness for Sport and Physical Activity
A full PDF copy of these tips can be downloaded here
If you have any questions on the information listed above, please contact Development and Competitions Assist, Leah Davidson