‘A smooth sea never made a skilful sailor.’
- The Scottish Student Sailing programme is a strong and full one, administrated by the Scottish Student Sailing Committee. SSS is an Association of Sailing Clubs in Scottish Universities, and annually elects a Chair who overlooks a committee of 8 other (elected) members to operate the programme on its behalf.
What is there?
- Three distinct competitive styles make up the SSS year, in the shape of Team Racing, Match Racing and Yachting.
- Furthermore, SSS National Women’s and Mixed National Winter and Summer Squads are selected. They compete in annual Team Racing fixtures across the UK and an annual summer event which the SSS Mixed Summer National Squad has been attending in Garda, Italy (The Laser Performance Collegiate Cup). Follow #ScotStuSailing for more information on how our national squads are doing.
- Applications open at the beginning of the season so keep an eye out on social media. You will find the link to the application forms here when they are available.
- We are also looking to develop Fleet Racing more within Scotland.
- There are plenty of development opportunities to partake in, so keep an eye out on our social media for all the updates!
When does all this happen?
- For Team Racing, the League takes place over three weekend meetings between November and February, with the top 4 teams going straight to BUCS TR Finals and the following 3, to playoffs. The SSS Dinghy Championship is a one-off event, held around March, with the winners declared Dinghy Scottish Universities Champions.
- The SSS Yachting Championship is also a one-off event , with the winners declared Yachting Scottish Universities Champions.
There are usually about two other Yachting Events organised within Scotland during the year.
- For Match Racing, the main competitions that Scottish Universities attend are the Ceilidh Cup and the BUCS MR Finals in April.
- There are also open events organised by Scottish Universities during the year or open events that Scottish Universities regularly attend – check our social media for more timely information on such events.
Sport Chair: Emma Fowler
For all British Universities & Colleges Sport (BUCS) fixtures, results and leagues please visit the BUCS website.
Sailing League 1819
Well done to all teams who participated in this years’ league competition. The full results can be found HERE.
National Squad representation
Please CLICK HERE for the nomination form for National Squad representation. Successful applicants will be notified in due course.