Monday 19th April 2021
Scottish Student Climbing Communications Officer
We are looking to recruit a new Scottish Student Climbing Communications Officer to drive the development of student climbing in Scotland.
Role title: Scottish Student Climbing Communications Officer
Responsible to: Head of Competitions
Where (location): Various within Scotland
Time commitment: Minimum 3-4 meetings per year with preferred attendance at 1-3 SS Climbing competitions
Role duration: Minimum one year – until 30th June 2022
Scottish Student Sport (SSS), the organisation for student sport in Scotland, is seeking an energetic and committed individual to act as one of the lead volunteers within Scottish Student Climbing.
As the Communications Officer your main responsibility will be to support the SS Climbing Chair and SSS by publicising the sport and its activity (e.g. posting on social media channels).
Your other responsibilities are taking minutes from the SS Climbing Meetings, ensuring regular communication between the Chairs and clubs, promotion of club activities via the SS Climbing channels, promotion of ClimbScotland material and working with the SSS Communications Coordinator on the general promotion of Climbing as a whole.
Furthermore, as a SS Climbing Development Group member you will work with the rest of the group to create and deliver a development plan across a range of areas beyond publicity: competition, workforce, club development and inclusion.
You will help to set policy for SS Climbing and may be asked to lead on any specific projects being delivered at the time.
Overall, you will represent the interests of all member institutions and student clubs to improve climbing for students in Scotland.
- Creation of appropriate platforms to engage with students
- Responsible for Scottish Student Climbing social media channels
- Regularly update social media channels
- Promote great work happening in Scottish Student Climbing clubs
- Work within group to identify key areas of work for coming year
- Drive specific outcomes as agreed by Chair and SS Climbing Development Group
- Gather feedback from student clubs and member institutions on SS Climbing Development Group areas of work
- Develop sport specific policy to improve student experience across all relevant areas of SSS work
Required Skills, Qualities & Experience
- Experience of using social media to promote a club/organisation
- Empathy for the needs of student clubs
- Proactive, can do attitude
- Experience of student climbing in Scotland
- Knowledge of climbing landscape in Scotland
- Ability to effectively communicate with a range of stakeholders
Desirable Skills, Qualities and Experience
- Photography experience
- Videography experience
- Access to camera
Training & Support Available
- Annual Chair Development Day hosted by SSS
- Any relevant CPD courses/experience as identified by Chair and Head of Competitions
- Named staff member within SSS
The Communications Officer will be appointed on a voluntary basis for a minimum term of one year. Individuals may re-stand for the position, or for the position of Chair (if it is available). All reasonable expenses incurred undertaking the role will be reimbursed in line with SSS policy.
Application is by cover letter and CV and should be sent to Jess Barrows, Competitions Coordinator, no later than 5pm on 14th May 2021.
This role description can be downloaded in PDF format HERE
You may also be interested in:BACK TO LIST