Monday 26th April 2021
Scottish Student Cross Country Chair
We are looking to recruit a new Scottish Student Cross Country Chair to drive the development of student cross country in Scotland.
Role title: Scottish Student Cross Country Chair
Responsible to: Head of Competitions
Where (location): Various within Scotland
Time commitment: Variable, up to 10-15 hours a month, with 4-5 championship races which ideally the Chair could attend
Role duration: Minimum one year, until 30th June 2022
Scottish Student Sport (SSS), the organisation for student sport in Scotland, is seeking an energetic and committed individual to act as the lead volunteer within Scottish Student Cross Country.
The Chair will enjoy an excellent opportunity to contribute to a large sports programme and work closely with Scottish Athletics.
The selected individual will be a key figure in the drive towards improving and strengthening cross country, road running and hill running in Scotland’s Higher Education network.
The Chair will work with SSS staff to coordinate event delivery, manage a budget, participate in strategic planning, communicate with student participants, support event volunteers and improve both SGB engagement & club development.
- To maintain effective communication with the SSS Head Office – updating them on event dates, sharing race news, planning medal and branding logistics
- To keep up at least a monthly communication with the student clubs – advertising the SSS events, sharing entry links, race results and race reports, promoting participation in the Winter League and in general anything else that might be of use to the student clubs
- Promote the Winter League to Clubs and encourage clubs to attend. Five events organised by students: Chariots of Fire 5k, Stirling Freshers XC, Braids Hill Race, Glasgow 5 Mile Road Race, and Round the Grounds 5k.
- Calculate and share Winter League standings throughout the year with the student clubs
- To represent the SSS at the SSS Road Relays, the 10k Championships, Half Marathon Championships the Hill Running Championships. Mainly to hand out the SSS medals during prize giving.
- Liaise with the clubs who organise Allan Scally’s Road Relays, Round the Houses 10k, Balloch to Clydebank Half Marathon and Dumyat Hill Race (as these events incorporate the above SSS Championships).
- Write race reports for the SSS website for the SSS XC Championships, the Inter District Championships, SSS Road Relays, SSS 10k Championships and SSS Hill Running Championships
Deliver Scottish Student Cross Country Championships
- Help the host club to organise the SSS XC Championships – the host club will do most of the organisation but the Chair is there to offer help, make sure that everything is in order, to promote the event to all the student clubs (this is very important as the race is the selection race for the SSS squad for the Inter District XC Championships so it is desirable to get a high turn out to this event!)
- It is also very important for the Chair to liaise with Scottish Athletics regarding this event, to make sure that it does not clash with any major races in the Scottish Athletics calendar – the date should be set in the summer with the event usually early November
Support National Squads
- Work alongside SSS to recruit a Team Manager for the Men’s and Women’s National Cross Country Squads (if you do not want to fill this role yourself)
- Liaise with Scottish Athletics and select the SSS National Squads for the Inter District Championships in January
- Attend the Inter District Championships to help at registration, hand out the squad vests, record results and get team photos
Required Skills, Qualities & Experience
- Proactive, can do attitude
- Experience in event management
- Experience of student cross country in Scotland
- Knowledge of cross country landscape in Scotland
- Ability to effectively communicate with a range of stakeholders
Training & Support Available
- Handover provided by outgoing Chair
- Annual Chair Development Day hosted by SSS
- Any relevant CPD courses/experience as identified by Chair and Head of Competitions
- Named staff member within SSS
The Chair will be appointed on a voluntary basis for a minimum term of one year. Individuals may re-stand for the position of Chair. All reasonable expenses incurred undertaking the role will be reimbursed in line with SSS policy.
Application is by cover letter and CV and should be sent to Jess Barrows, Competitions Coordinator, no later than 5pm on Friday 14th May 2021.
This role can be downloaded in PDF format HEREBACK TO LIST