Thursday 22nd April 2021
Scottish Student Handball Chair
We are looking to recruit a new Chair for the Scottish Student Handball programme.
Role title: Scottish Student Handball Chair
Responsible to: Head of Competitions
Where (location): Various within Scotland
Time commitment: Variable – 10-15 hours per month with 1 full tournament day (Finals Day)
Role Duration: Minimum one year, until 30th June 2022
Scottish Student Sport (SSS), the governing body for student sport in Scotland, is seeking an energetic and committed individual to act as the lead volunteer within Scottish Student Handball.
The Chair will enjoy an excellent opportunity to contribute to a developing sports programme and work closely with the Scottish Handball Association (SHA).
The selected individual will be a key figure in the drive towards improving and strengthening handball in Scotland.
The Chair will work with SSS/SHA staff to coordinate: event delivery, strategic planning, communication with the student participants, volunteer support, club development and SGB engagement
Overview of programme
- Coordinate a meeting for all student handball club captains at the start of the academic year to share plans for the season and improve engagement with student clubs
- Supporting the SS Handball Communications Officer to promote student handball competitions, opportunities and general activity
- Coordinate a meeting for all student handball club captains at the end of the year to review and to plan for the following year
Support SS Handball League Delivery
- Coordinate results of the Scottish Student Handball League to be published regularly on Facebook and the SSS website
- Develop Student Handball calendar, in conjunction with staff from SSS, SHA and BUCS.
- Assist delivery of Scottish Student Handball Finals Day, in conjunction with SSS Competitions Coordinator, and SHA
Develop the sport
- Support club engagement and development, in particular engaging clubs to participate in Refereeing and Coaching Courses
- Other tasks to support the delivery of the KPI’s of the partnership agreement between SSS and SHA
- Lead and coordinate the work of volunteer roles that form the SS Handball Development Group
Required Skills, Qualities & Experience
- Proactive, can-do attitude
- Experience of student Handball in Scotland
- Knowledge of Handball landscape in Scotland
- Ability to effectively communicate with a range of stakeholders
- Ability to show leadership and manage volunteers
Training and Support Available
- Annual Chairs’ Training day hosted by SSS
- Any relevant CPD courses/experience as identified by Chair and Head of Competitions
- Coaching or Refereeing qualification preferred, but not essential
- Event management experience preferred, but not essential
- Application is by CV and cover letter, sent to Neil Rankin – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application deadline is 12pm on 14th May 2021
The full role description can be downloaded HERE.BACK TO LIST