Who is involved?
- The Scottish Student Sailing programme is a strong and full one, administrated by the Scottish Student Sailing Committee. SSS is an Association of Sailing Clubs in Scottish Universities, and annually elects a Chair who overlooks a committee of 8 other (elected) members to operate the programme on its behalf.
- BUCS also have a Sailing programme and all information about this can be found on the BUCS Website
What is there?
- Three distinct competitive styles make up the SSS year, in the shape of Team Racing, Match Racing and Yachting.
- Within the Team Racing discipline, League and Championship competitions operate. Furthermore, SSS National Women’s and Mixed National Winter and Summer Squads are selected. They compete in annual Team Racing fixtures across the UK and an annual summer event which the SSS Mixed Summer National Squad has been attending in Garda, Italy (The Laser Performance Collegiate Cup). Follow #ScotStuSailing for more information
- We are also looking to develop Fleet Racing more within Scotland.
- There are plenty of development opportunities to partake in, so keep an eye out on our social media for all the updates!
When does this happen?
- The team racing league will take place over three weekends between November and February. The top four placed teams will secure a spot in the team racing championship finals. Teams placed 5th – 8th will be invited to trophy final where they compete again and the top three teams from trophy final are awarded wildcard entry to the Team Racing Championship Final.
- The SSS Yachting Championship is also a one-off event , with the winners declared Yachting Scottish Universities Champions.
There are usually about two other Yachting Events organised within Scotland during the year.
- For Match Racing, the main competitions that Scottish Universities attend are the Ceilidh Cup and the BUCS MR Finals in April.
- There are also open events organised by Scottish Universities during the year or open events that Scottish Universities regularly attend – check our social media for more timely information on such events.
Upcoming Sailing Events
You might want to know…
Meet your Sports Chair
Emily has been a member of the Scottish Student Sailing committee for 4 years, this year working her way up to chair the committee. In 2021 she graduated from the University of St Andrews with a Masters of Chemistry and is now pursuing a PGDE at the University of Edinburgh.
Whilst completing her studies, Emily held a different role each year in the University of St Andrews sailing club, including dinghy captain, safety officer and development officer. As well as competing nationally for her university, she was a member of the SSSailing national squad in 2017/18 and 2018/19. Emily was awarded half blues for her achievements in sailing.
SS Sailing Development Group Members
Emily is supported by eight excellent volunteers in developing and delivering SSS Sailing:
BUSA Representative Jake Miller
Secretary/Finance Hazel Brimelow
Dinghy Captain Tony FitzGerald
Keelboat Captain Thomas Goodman
Development Officer Iain Duncan
Development Secretary Robyn Francis
Media Officer Katrina Longstaffe
Graduate member James Chapman
Governing Body of Sport