Who is involved?
- The Scottish Student Sailing programme is a strong and full one, administrated by the Scottish Student Sailing Committee. SSS is an Association of Sailing Clubs in Scottish Universities, and annually elects a Chair who overlooks a committee of 8 other (elected) members to operate the programme on its behalf.
- BUCS also have a Sailing programme and all information about this can be found on the BUCS Website
What is there?
- Three distinct competitive styles make up the SSS year, in the shape of Team Racing, Match Racing and Yachting.
- Within the Team Racing discipline, League and Championship competitions operate. Furthermore, SSS National Women’s and Mixed National Winter and Summer Squads are selected. They compete in annual Team Racing fixtures across the UK and an annual summer event which the SSS Mixed Summer National Squad has been attending in Garda, Italy (The Laser Performance Collegiate Cup). Follow #ScotStuSailing for more information
- We are also looking to develop Fleet Racing more within Scotland.
- There are plenty of development opportunities to partake in, so keep an eye out on our social media for all the updates!
When does this happen?
- The team racing league will take place over three weekends between November and February. The top four placed teams will secure a spot in the team racing championship finals. Teams placed 5th – 8th will be invited to trophy final where they compete again and the top three teams from trophy final are awarded wildcard entry to the Team Racing Championship Final.
- The SSS Yachting Championship is also a one-off event , with the winners declared Yachting Scottish Universities Champions.
There are usually about two other Yachting Events organised within Scotland during the year.
- For Match Racing, the main competitions that Scottish Universities attend are the Ceilidh Cup and the BUCS MR Finals in April.
- There are also open events organised by Scottish Universities during the year or open events that Scottish Universities regularly attend – check our social media for more timely information on such events.
Upcoming Sailing Events
You might want to know…
Meet your Sports Chair
Hazel has been a part of the Scottish Student Sailing group for two years, previously as secretary/treasurer. In her final (fifth) year of medicine at the University of Dundee and has also completed a BMSc in Anatomy. Hazel sat on Dundee university sailing club’s committee for five years, as social secretary, treasurer, and vice commodore. For the 2022/23 year, Hazel was elected as the club’s commodore. She also competed as part of Dundee’s team racing team from 2017 – 2020 but now enjoys racing in 707 events across Scotland.
SS Sailing Development Group Members
Hazel is supported by eight excellent volunteers in developing and delivering SSS Sailing:
BUSA Representative Jake Miller
Secretary/Finance Ffinlo Wright
Dinghy Captain Tony FitzGerald
Keelboat Captain Louis Hockings-Cooke
Development Officer Robyn Francis
Development Secretary Othilie Barthe
Media Officer Sophia Lopez
Graduate member Iona Smith
Governing Body of Sport